Subject: [FFML] [Fanfic] [Ranma] 'Another Chance' chapter 1

From: "Bryan Croft" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 06:10:47 -0600

This is a revised copy I had sent to my pre-readers.  I have made some of
their changes to the story.  I am thinking of making other, more drastic
changes, to the story.  If done these changes will be based on what other
pre-readers have sent.  The reason for the post is to get a broader
response.  I do plan to make some of the drastic changes, but some of the
other suggested changes are 50% for 50% against.  Any input will be helpful.

This fanfic takes place after volume 38.  Some back references are made.

Disclaimer:
	Characters are owned by Rumiko Takahashi, Viz Video, etc..., and
are used without permission.

Another Chance.

Chapter 1

--A Clean Slate--

	The crisp late afternoon air hung heavily over Nerima.  The weather
complemented Ranma's mood as he slowly paced across the floor of the
guestroom.
	"It failed... Maybe this will help set things right," he whispered
as his fingers slowly traced the cold metal of the kozuka.  "Why
couldn't I say those three words?  If I did... this may not have
happened."  Sunlight gleamed off the blade as it was set down on the
dresser.  Soon the gleam was replaced with the image of Ranma's frown
as he opened the top drawer; he removed his journal before retreating
to the sanctuary of the roof.

Journal Entry.   Feb 25

	The only nice thing to happen all day was a half-hour ago.  It was
the simplest thing, a soak in the furo.
	It gave me time to sort out some of my feelings.  I don't know if I
am ready for marriage yet.  I wonder, am I too young?  But most of
all, I don't know if she loves me, we always fight.  I love her, but
I'm scared she may reject me.
	Although I may not be ready now-- I want to marry Akane when the
time is right.  The pain I felt, when I thought I lost her, was worse
than anything I felt before.  I lost my will to live.  I don't feel
that way for Ukyo or Shampoo.  I guess that is why I fight with them,
but I can't bring myself to properly train Akane.  If I were to hurt
her, I don't know what I would do.
	Today started off well.  That was until I barged into her room.  We
got into a fight when she asked me if I loved her.  As usual I stuck
my foot in my mouth and denied it.  She was right though: I wanted to
say yes.
	The Jusenkyo guide sent a barrel of Nannichuan to Mr. Tendo.  It
was to thank me for my help.  When Pops, Ryoga, and Mousse found out
they started to fight over it.  They did something stupid during the
fight.  They ignored Happosai; I can't believe the old letch thought
it was sake; he drank my cure.  What chance do I have with Akane now,
I'm only a freak in her eyes.  Until today she hardly acknowledge
that we were fiancees, it was always 'it's our parents idea', now she
was willing to marry me.  The only reason I can think of is that she
knew of the cure, and she wanted the freak to be destroyed.  Once the
freak was gone, then I would fit her ideal and be accepted.
	What was worse is that my friends betrayed me.  Shampoo and Ukyo
were throwing bombs at me.  Well actually Shampoo said she was going
after Akane.  Thank Kami she was not hit, but it will be a long time
before I can forgive them.
	I was wrong when I thought the day couldn't get any worse.  I
finished my soak and wanted to talk to Akane.  I went to tell her
that I want to marry her someday; not for family honor but because I
love her.  Before I entered the kitchen I heard her calling me a
baka.  I realized my fear was becoming a reality.  I left, and did
not catch what else she mumbled.  Knowing how I messed up, it
probably was 'go and die'.  I don't know, maybe that will be the only
way to make her happy.

-----

	Ranma sighed as he rose from the tiled roof.  He slowly made his
way inside and replaced the journal.  The fading light of the sun
caught his eye; he turned to gaze at the start of the multicolored
sunset.  <I need more time to think this out,> he thought as walked
outside to his meditation rock by the koi pond.

 -----

Akane's Diary Entry
Dear Diary: Feb 25

	That jerk just passed me in the hall and didn't say anything.  I
know something is wrong: he forced his smile.  If we could just talk
and try to work it out.
	Why can't he just say it?  I know he loves me, I feel the same way,
but I need to hear him say it first.  I need to see Ranma put love
above one of his most important possessions - his pride.
	I can thank Nabiki for ruining the wedding.  She invited everyone
from school over to the dojo.  Is seemed all the guests wanted the
wedding stopped.  Shampoo and Ukyo, they were throwing bombs at
Ranma.  Mr. Saotome and Mousse heard about the Nannichuan my dad got.
Well I guess you know what happened next, a big fight broke out.
With all his 'Prepare to dies' I would never have known that Ryoga
cared that much for Ranma.  The way he tried to protect the
Nannichuan for him; it makes me proud we're friends.  It's too bad he
failed.  I thought it couldn't get any worse.  I was wrong. Kodachi
had the gall to show up wearing a wedding gown.  It took a while for
everything to settle down, but when it did the dojo was destroyed.
Well at least Nabiki made enough money to pay for the repairs.
	I have never been this confused before.  This afternoon he looked
so upset when he was told we were to be married, but when it was all
over I couldn't help think he was a little disappointed.  I guess I
am too; I wanted to be married.  I used to hate the sound of that
name before.  I slowly grew to want it, even before China.  But after
what happened there it confirmed by pride in him, in that name that I
hoped would soon be mine - Akane Saotome.

-----

	Akane paused as she heard the door to the furo open.
	"Ranma, you baka... please talk to me," she whispered after a few
seconds pause.  The steady creaking of the steps caused her heart to
sink.  "Ranma I know you love me.  Why don't you admit it?"
 	Akane whispered as she paged through her diary.  Page after page
brought back memories of the prior year: happiness, anger, sorrow
flooded her mind; she became lost in thought.  For over an hour her
eyes never left the pages of the diary;  she was emotionally
exhausted and needed a break.  Akane peered out the window and saw
her release- the deep crimson and purple in the sky.  She left the
kitchen and slowly she made her way out to her viewing rock.  She
paused when she saw its counterpart was occupied  by Ranma.  His
reflection, in the still water, stared back at her.  Distress and
anguish were visible on his face.
	"He needs you, go and comfort him," emotion cried.
	"You are Akane Tendo, you should not go to him... not until he
humbles himself to you.  If you go to him now he will think that you
are weak, and that jerk should never have that satisfaction," pride
answered emotion.
	Ranma sensed no danger from the presence and ignored the creaking
of the steps.  Pride won the battle and wrapped another layer of
protection around her heart as she left.

------

	There in the cool evening air Ranma sat on the rock struggling to
find his wa.  Darkness had yet to take charge of the night; it was in
a battle with the sun's multicolored rays.  At that moment another
battle was raging on in his mind.
	<How am I going to deal with Ukyo and Shampoo?>  Ranma thought,
<They're my friends, and they helped ruin the wedding.>
	"And that's a bad thing?" A voice questioned.
	"Who... who's there?" Ranma asked as he grew concerned; he was
unable to sense anyone.
	"Your conscience.  Are you sure it was a bad thing for them to stop
the wedding?  You said it yourself, you may not be ready yet."
	"Yes... no... argh, I don't know; I am so confused.  I want to
marry Akane, but not until I know she loves me."
	"All the more reason to keep your other fiancees.  What if Akane
rejects you?  You should have a fallback plan.  You know Ukyo loves
you."
	"No, even though they disappointed me, they are still my friends.
They are not fallback plans.  I know I can never return Ukyo's love.
I care about her, and it's not fair to string her along like that...
like I have been.  I need to dissolve the engagement.  Ukyo needs to
find her *real* love, someone who will love her in return.  I know
she has very strong feelings for me, but I doubt it is love."
	"Why do you say that?"
	"I don't know how to explain it.  When Ukyo came here it was
because she thought I had abandoned her.  She hated me.  To cheer her
up I told her she was cute.  Now she will not leave me alone.  To go
from hate to *love* that quick- I think she likes me *a lot*, but she
is confusing that for love."
	"What of your other fiancee?"
	"Shampoo?  If it wasn't for that Amazon law I doubt she would have
came after me.  She is always trying so hard to please Cologne."
	"What if it is not the law?  What if she loves you."
	"Two reasons it will not work.  First, same as Ukyo, I do not love
her.  I enjoy her friendship, and that in itself is nowhere near the
level I have with Akane and Ukyo.  Second, she turns into a cat!"
Ranma shuddered at the thought.  "I love Akane, and I will *not* let
anyone get in the way..."
	"They got in the way today, and you could not protect her could
you?"  Ranma mentally shook his head as tears forced their way out of
his closed eyes.  "You failed to protect her.  They think you don't
love her.  They think they have a chance.  What would you have done
if one of the bombs Shampoo or Ukyo made hurt Akane?  What will you
do if someone gets in the way?"
	"I... I don't know.  I love her so much; I was prepared to kill for
her.  I did kill for her.  I doubt I will be pushed to that level
again, but I do know that if *anyone* tries *anything* they will
regret it."
	The voice faded as Ranma finally found his wa; he finally realized
his true feelings for Akane.

-----

	The beeping of the alarm brought Akane into the world.  She rubbed
the sleep out of her eyes as a familiar voice announced that
breakfast was ready.
	Guilt gripped Akane's chest as she entered the dinning room; Onna-
Ranma was still meditating by the pond.  <She must have been there
all night.  All that frozen dew on her body... I should have talked
last night.>
	"Ra-Ranma are you ok?"  Concern permeated her voice as she neared
her fiance.  Onna-Ranma turned and looked at Akane.  The pain in her
gaze was so powerful that Akane could swear it had a physical
presence.  Shame washed over Akane as she broke contact.  <I want to
say something more to him.> Akane thought, but her pride still
refused to give in to emotion.
	<I was foolish to think she'd say something more...  I was right
last night.  I'm losing her.>  "Kasumi, I ain't hungry.  I will be in
the furo if anyone needs me," Ranma said as she quietly rose from the
rock and made her way to the bathroom.
	"She looks so hurt.  Someone should cheer her up."  Kasumi replied
as she looked at Akane.
	"Kasumi," Soun interrupted.  "Saotome and I are officiating a
tournament this afternoon.  Tell Ranma to take care of my Akane."
	<They think you are weak.  You don't need a boy to take care of you-
much less that pervert,> pride told her.
	"Dad, I can take care of myself!  I don't need or want that
pervert's help."  Akane screamed as she left the table under pride's
control.

-----

	<That smile on her face... Can she be that happy the wedding
failed?  What am I thinking after what I heard at breakfast...>
Ranma thought as he looked at Akane's face during their walk to
school.  He stopped when heard Nabiki call his name.
	"Yes," anger filled his voice, "What do *you* want?"
	"I need to talk to you... in private."  Something unusual in
Nabiki's eyes caught his attention.
	"Go ahead Akane, I will catch up with you later."  Akane started to
protest but backed down when she saw the hurt in his eyes.  Ranma
waited until Akane was out of sight before he turned to face Nabiki.
"Now, what do you want?" anger still filled his voice.
	"Did you like my present?"
	"What present?"
	"The failed wedding, of course.  You two are *not* ready." She
gloated.
	"And that's for you to decide!?"  Ranma fumed.
	"Ranma, Akane is my little sister, and *I will* do what I can to
make sure she doesn't make a big mistake."
	"And that mistake would be?"
	"You." Nabiki replied with an icy voice.
	Last night's conversation filled his head.  Ranma lost control and
snapped.  He spun around wrapping his now white knuckles around the
neck of her shirt violently lifting her off the ground.  "Mistake?
Look at me, I *love* Akane.  If you get between us, I swear sister or
not I will *kill* you."  Ranma scowled.
	"Yeah right, kill me a... wa-wait did you just say you love her?"
	Ranma's mind reeled when he realized what he said.  Sighing deeply,
he released Nabiki and dropped his head.  "Yes, I said I lo-love her,
I love her, but I think I've lost her."
	Nabiki looked as Ranma lifelessly collapsed into the fence.  His
gaze shocked her; it brought back bitter memories.  The armor around
her heart started to break apart.  The last time she saw that much
hurt was, when she looked in a mirror, the day her mother died.  "Why
didn't you say it before?"  Her voice choking back her tears.  "She
deserves to know how you feel."
	Pride lost the battle; he started to speak from the heart.  "I
know... I know but I... I am scared.  I love her Nabiki, but... but
what if she doesn't love me.  A day doesn't go by where she doesn't
hurt me..."
	"Well, that hammer..." Nabiki interrupted.
	"Not the hammer, emotionally."  Ranma replied as he slammed his
fist to his chest.  "She's right. I am her worst nightmare; she
deserves better."
	"Ranma, why would you think that?"
	"I heard her, after the fight with Kuno.  I was going to thank her
for her help, and before I knocked on her door, she called me her
worst nightmare."
	"Forget it, she didn't mean it."
	"I can't.  It's one of her nicer comments." Ranma grimly replied.
	Nabiki paled at his comment as she reached out to grab his
trembling hand.  <I could make so much money on this,> Nabiki thought
before she mentally slapped herself.  "Ranma, you're right, she may
not love you, but it does not matter.  You need to tell her, she
deserves to know.  I think you *will* be surprised at her response."
	"I... I will tell her soon."  Ranma rose from the sidewalk grabbing
her hand.  "Why?" confusion entered his voice.
	"Why what?"
	"Why... why are you being so nice to me?  A few minutes ago you
said I was a mistake."
	"I don't know?  You've changed Ranma, I don't know what it is but
you *have* changed.  I like it.  Ranma I am not going to say I am
sorry for stopping the wedding.  I now know you love her, but I
*love* her, too.  Until I know she loves you, I *will* stop any other
attempt.  I am sorry for saying you are a mistake, I was angry.  I
found it unusual that Akane would change her mind on marriage so
soon.  When you came back from China, you two were different.  I
thought she may have been blackmailed into the marriage.  I should
have asked you two.  The only way I could think to stop the wedding
was to invite people that did not want to see you two married.  When
I heard about the Nannichuan I guessed that was how she was
blackmailed into marrying you."
	"Ask?"  Ranma shook his head.  "That wouldn't have worked.  If you
had asked me if I loved her before the wedding, I would have denied
it.  I... I did deny it; that is why we had that fight.  I had a long
time to think last night.  I realized I loved her.  She seemed so
happy when I first came in her room.  I think she wanted to go
through with the wedding, but because of my stupid pride I may have
done what all my enemies and rivals could not do... make me lose her.
Pride..." Ranma became lost in thought.
	"All the trouble pride has caused in the past, all the
misunderstandings.  I wonder if... if I didn't let it control me,
would we have been married now."  Ranma cocked his head and looked up
at Nabiki.  "You have changed too, I like it.  You are usually so
cold... no, that's not right.  You're not cold, but locked in a
business mode.  It was nice to talk to you," Ranma squeezed her hand
as he leaned in and gave her a one-arm hug.  "Like a friend."
	"No one knows about this, ok?"
	"Why?  They may like the new Nabiki."
	"Ranma, when my mom died it hurt so bad.  I locked up all my
feelings; I didn't what to risk being hurt again.  When you looked at
me today, I could see you were willing to tell me everything.  I
can't explain the feelings I had; I just opened up to you.  I'm not
ready yet, maybe in time."  Nabiki turned with a twinkle in her eye
and laughed. "Besides it's easier to make money as the *Ice Queen*."
	Ranma laughed as he stood up.  "Speaking of money, how fast can you
raise it for me?"
	"What?"  Nabiki asked as a sly look crossed her face "You need
money from moi?"
	"You are the only one I know that can help me make a lot of money
fast.  I don't know how much I will need, but I do know I wont get
that much money on my own.  Last night I realized that I like Ukyo,
but only as a friend.  Why did pops have to engage me to her?  He
knew I was engaged to your family."
	"Your dad will do anything for free food Ranma." Nabiki joked.
"Let me guess.  You will need the money to pay back Ukyo's family, to
honorably dissolve the engagement, right?"  Nabiki asked as she
tugged Ranma's hand and started walking to school.
	"Yep, but when can I talk to her?  I want to dissolve our
engagement, fast.  I want to ask Akane to marry me."
	"You're going to ask Akane to marry you?"
	"Yes, thanks to last night and our little talk, I know how much she
means to me.  I will not risk losing her again."  Ranma sighed  "If I
haven't already."
	"Ranma, I have a few tests before lunch, but nothing important
after that.  We'll skip out and talk to her then, OK?"  Ranma nodded,
unable to speak.
	"What took you guys so long?" Akane asked as they entered the
school grounds.
	"Not much, it's just business." Nabiki responded "We better get
going or we will be late for class."

-----

	Their classmates swarmed the couple as they entered the classroom.
The questioning ceased as the spine tingling sound of fingernails
running down the blackboard filled the room.   "So many delinquents
to punish," the class paled as Hinako-sensei pulled out a 50 yen
piece.  "Picking on this poor couple."  With speed, that would make
Carl Lewis proud, the students took their seats.  From that point on
class was uneventful.
	"Ranma, would you like to eat lunch with me?" Akane asked after the
lunch bell rang.
	"I'm sorry Akane, I can't."
	<Why Ranma, is there something wrong with me?>  Akane questioned
herself.

-----

	"Hey..." Ranma replied as Nabiki walked up to him.  "Mind if I do
somethin' before we meet Ukyo?"
	"Depends.  What is it?"
	"I would like to buy a rose for Akane, let... let her know how I
feel, before I go see Ukyo.  Don't want her to get the wrong idea
when me 'n' Ukyo are gone."
	"OK, I think Akane will like that," Nabiki coughed. "Besides, after
our little talk, I've come to like you a lot.  I don't want you to
bankrupt me."
	"Huh, bankrupt?"  Ranma was confused.
"Uh Huh, you know how angry Akane gets, and closed casket funerals
are *so* expensive," Nabiki giggled.  Ranma soon joined her as they
made their way to the flower shop.
	"Welcome, may I help you?" the florist asked as they entered his
shop.
	"I need a single long stem rose for my fiancee."
	"You have a pretty cute fiancee there."  The shop owner replied as
he eyed Nabiki.
	"What?  No, you got the wrong idea.  This is *not* my fiancee."
	"Wou-would it have been that bad if I was still your fiancee?"
Nabiki pouted as she wiped the tears from her eyes.
	"Nab..."
	"Got ya," Nabiki giggled as she watched the relief wash over Ranma.
"He's my sister's fiance."  Nabiki stated as she turned to shop
keeper.  "What is your most expensive rose?"
	"2300 yen."
	"He'll take it,"  Nabiki replied as she elbowed Ranma in the ribs.
"Add it to your tab?"  Ranma nodded as they left the shop.
	Nabiki looked at Ranma.  "When did you realize that you loved her?"
	Ranma massaged his temples as he looked at Nabiki.  "A long time
ago.  I realized I cared for her when she first got P-chan as a pet.
I've never been that jealous.  When I saw her kiss him and cuddle
him; I... I wanted to explode.  I wanted to have someone care for me
like that.  But I guess I realized I loved her at the skating match.
They had us in the *good-bye whirl* and Akane wanted me to let her
go.  I couldn't, no, wouldn't let go.  When they lost control of the
move, all I could think about was taking the blow to protect her.  In
that split second I saw my life without her, and it scared me.  I
hardly knew her and she already owned the keys to my heart.  I guess
pride stood in the way.  It would not allow me to loose the battle of
who would say 'I love you' first.  I called Akane 'dumb as a brick' a
number of times.  Looking back, I was dumber--- if I told her how I
felt.  I... I know we're willing to die for each other, but we're not
willing to say I love you."
	Nabiki looked around as they re-entered the school grounds; she
spotted Akane eating with Yuka and Sayuri under a tree.  "Over
there."  Nabiki pointed as they slowly approached the trio and hid
behind the tree.
	"Akane what's wrong?" Yuka asked as she turned and looked at Akane.
	"Huh?"
	"Yeah, you look depressed.  Is it because the wedding failed?"
Sayuri asked.
	"No, are you crazy!"
	"Do you love him?"  Yuka asked.
	<Ranma you jerk, I saw you talk to Ukyo after class.  After what
she did, how can you go and eat with her?  I asked you to eat with
me; I wanted to talk to you.>  Akane thought before she turned to
Yuka.  "Me, love that perverted baka.  No way, I am glad Nabiki
ruined the wedding.  Why would I want to be married to him?  The
world would be better off if Ranma's mom said he was not a man,"
venom registered in her pride-controlled voice.
	"What do you mean not a man?"  Yuka and Sayuri asked in unison.
	"Oh! Nothing, never mind."
	Nabiki paled when she saw Ranma's face.  "Ranma..." Nabiki whispered
	The rose stem snapped and fell lifelessly to the ground.  "Come on,
let's go deal with Ukyo."
	The lunch bell rang as Sayuri looked at Akane, "Lunch is too
short."
	"A rose," Akane mused as she rounded the tree.
	Akane's eyes looked back and forth between Ranma and Ukyo's empty
seats.  Anger started to build in Akane. "That jerk.  One day after
the wedding fails what does he do?  He runs off with that... that
bimbo."  Akane grumbled, drawing the stares of the other students.

-----

	"Ukyo, thanks for meeting me."  Ranma replied as they entered the
restaurant.
	"Ran-chan, you said it was very important we talk, what is it?"
	"Why did you ruin the wedding?"
	"Because, I love you Ranma.  I love you more than her sister ever
will.  I am saving you from making a mistake you'll regret.  You
should be with someone who loves you, me."
	"But I love her," Ranma sighed as he interrupted.  "Ukyo, I care
for you too, but you're a good friend... nothing more.  I don't know
if I could ever love you the way I love Akane."
	"You could learn Ra-ran-chan. I am your 'cute fiancee' right?"
Tears started to run down her face.
	"I...  I am sorry I called you that.  I was only trying to make you
feel better.  Pops had no right to engage me to you.  He promised me
to the Tendos before I was born.  I am sorry *I* damaged your honor
by stringing you along like this.  I had no right to do it."
Moisture started to form in his eyes as he took a deep bow. "I am
sorry.  The arranged marriage between me and Akane was honorably
made, I must honor it."
	"What about my honor!"  Ukyo screamed.
	"I'm sorry, but the agreement between our fathers was made without
honor.  An honorless agreement cannot be enforced."
	"No!  Your engaged to me!  Your old man took our yatai; he
abandoned me.  You *belong* to *me*!"
	"I do *not* belong to you, and I'm *not* engaged to you.   I will
pay your family back for the yatai, and do what I can to restore your
family's honor."  Ranma flinched as Ukyo reached back; she grasped
air.  A long sigh escaped his lips; he was thankful that Nabiki had
Ukyo remove her combat spatulas before their talk.  "Nabiki will help
determine how much I will owe you.  This is the way is has to be, I'm
sorry."  Ranma bowed deeply as he walked away to another booth.  He
sat down, and for close to three hours, watched Nabiki work her magic.
	"You *owe* me Ranma, big time," Nabiki said as they left Ucchan's.
"At least the matter is settled.  I told her you still want to be
friends, but she is so upset.  I do not know if it will happen."
	"I hope it does," Ranma paused as he turned to Nabiki.  "Do you
think it will work?"
	"I hope so." Nabiki responded as they parted ways.

-----

	After lunch, the rest of Akane's day passed slowly.  Her ever-
growing anger prevented her from learning.  A sigh of relief left
Akane's lips as the last bell sounded.  Visions of a broken and
battered practice dummy filled her mind as she hurried home to work
out her anger.
	"Kasumi, is Ranma home yet?"  Akane asked as she entered the house.
	"I haven't seen him.  Why?"
	"Just wondering." Akane replied as she ran upstairs to get her gi.
"What are you doing in here?" Akane asked as she walked into her room.
	"We need to talk, Akane," Nabiki replied.
	<I don't like the sound of this; she is in her business mode,>
Akane thought.  "What is it?"
	"Do you love Ranma?"
	"I...  I don't know."  Akane stuttered.

-----

	Kasumi turned as the door opened.  "Ranma, your home."
	Ranma did not answer, but motioned for Kasumi to be quiet.  He
quietly made his way upstairs to Akane's door.  <I need to find out
why she said that to Yuka and Sayuri.  I want to let you know that I
love you, that I have reached an agreement with Ukyo.>

------

	"Akane, yes or no, not 'I do not know.'  Do you love Ranma or not?"
Nabiki asked.
	"Me, love him.  Our family would be better off if he was dead."
Pride interjected for Akane - a vision of Ranma and Ukyo burned in
her mind.  The unintended words slowly chipped away at her soul: she
immediately wanted to take them back.  "No I di-"
	A soft knock came from the door, and Ranma peeked his head in.
"Hello Nabiki."  Ranma paused as he turned to Akane, "Can I talk
Tendo-san?"
	<Tendo-san?> Akane thought as her memories shifted to the
afternoon's events. "Did you have a fun afternoon with your *cute
fiancee*?"  Akane screamed as her anger returned.  "I saw how you two
skipped school.  So have you slept with her yet?"  Tears streamed
down her face.  "What am I asking?  I should be asking is she
pregnant yet!  No wonder you're happy the wedding failed!"  Akane
slapped Ranma as she tried to close the door.
	"Tendo-san.  We need to talk."  Ranma sighed, "We really need to
talk.  I wish you would *trust* me, allow me to *explain* things.
	"Why would I ever trust someone as honorless as you?  I wanted to
talk to you at lunch, but you wanted to have some *fun* with Ukyo.
Why don't you go and die?"
	Ranma's whole body slumped.  "Nabiki... it's over.  No transfer,
just talk to your dad and find out how much I owe."  Ranma sighed and
wiped a tear from his eye.  "Tendo-san I have never *slept* with
anyone.  I now know how you feel about me, and that you do not want
to hear this.  Please don't be angry."  Ranma sighed "Akane, I... I
love you."
	<Did he just say he loved me?>  Akane thought as her anger  quickly
died.  She was on an emotional rollercoaster, and she could swear her
heart skipped at his declaration.  <Why did he think I would be mad?
Oh Kami-sama, he heard us talking.>  Ran..."  Akane tried to respond
but stopped when Ranma held his hand up - she would allow him to
explain.
	Ranma turned and faced the open door.  "I wanted to tell you how I
felt at lunch.  It hurt so much when I heard you tell your friends it
would be better if I was dead.  Do you know how much that hurt?  I
still was hoping to ask you to marry me, but then I heard you tell
your sister the same thing.  I could understand when you told your
friends that, but not family.  You deserve to be with someone you
love, not hate.  I now know that I am the latter.  Looking back, I
guess I was always the latter.  I don't know why, but I still love
you.  Enough to let you go, so you can be happy."  Ranma turned his
head and looked at the tear-blurred image of Akane.  "I was hoping to
give you a gift, my heart.  Instead  I will give you what you long
for, Akane, I give you your freedom. Remember, I will always love you."
	Akane collapsed to the bed.  A large, dark, cold void opened as
Ranma vacated the room - the one she prepared in her heart.  The
click of the front door echoed through the silence of the house.
"Ranma!" She cried as she tried to get up.
	"Let him go," Nabiki replied as she placed a hand on Akane's shoulder
	"But he thinks I *hate* him."  Akane hugged her knees to her chest.
What am I going do?  I... I..." Akane broke down in uncontrollable
sobs.
	"Do you know how much you hurt him?" Nabiki asked as she sat down
next to her sister.   "Not because you slapped him, but because you
would not trust him.  What did he say when he left 'remember I will
always love you.'  Akane if you treated me half as bad as you treated
Ranma, I would not be able to say the same thing.  You don't know how
lucky you were to have someone like that."
	"What have I done?"  Akane cried.
	"You let your anger and pride control you.  When you are under
their control you don't listen and you say things you do not mean.
You were right: Ranma was with Ukyo this afternoon.  Did you know I
was with him?"  This simple statement shocked Akane; all she could do
was shake her head.  "He dissolved his engagement with Ukyo this
afternoon.  He did this *after* you told Yuka and Sayuri it would be
better if he was dead."
	"Then why did he leave now?"
	"Why?  You weren't listening to him, were you?"  Nabiki shook her
head,  "You hurt him.  He said he could understand you saying that to
your friends.  But not to me - not to family."  Nabiki turned as she
sat down next to her sister.  "Akane, on our walk to school, I got
Ranma mad at me.  He assaulted me."
	Akane's expression immediately changed to fury as she tried to
interrupt.  "He what.  That-"
	"Akane, are you going to treat me like Ranma and let anger control
you, or will you listen?  I've forgiven him and he forgave me."
	"Why should he forgive you."  Akane snarled.
	"Fine, I'll leave you alone.  I can see that you don't want to
listen."
	"I'm sorry Nabiki.  I'll listen."
	Nabiki breathed deeply.  "I forgive you.  To answer your question I
was mad and said something I should not have.  I told Ranma that he
was a mistake, that I wouldn't let him ruin your life.  He grabbed
me, and in his rage he said he loved you."  Nabiki smiled as she
patted Akane's hand.  "As we talked he broke down; we had a heart-to-
heart talk.  He told me his biggest fear would be that you would
reject his love."  Nabiki frowned,  "He thinks you hate him.  How
would you feels if the person you love hates you?"
	"I don't hate him; I *love* him."  Akane grabbed and hugged Nabiki
holding onto here as a lifeline.  <Why didn't I tell him before,>
Akane thought as she broke into more tears.
	"It's about time you finally admitted it." Nabiki paused as Akane
nodded.  "Well?"  Nabiki asked as she separated herself from Akane.
	"Well what?"
	"Why are you waiting here?  Go look for him; he needs you."

-----

	Ranma slowly walked the streets of Nerima.  His mind was stuck on a
song he heard when Kasumi had him listen to that musical.  <To
broaden your horizons; make you a better person,> Ranma thought as
Kasumi's words echoed in his head.  He resisted at first but now one
stuck in his mind.  With a slight modification of Kaho Shimada's
words he made the song fit his mood.  <And now I'm all *alone* again.
Nowhere to turn, no one to go to.  Without a *home*, without a
*friend*, without a face to say hello to.  And now the night is near,
now I can make believe she's here...>
	Ranma's thoughts were shattered at the sound of a blowing horn.  He
quickly spun around to see an out of control car barreling down on a
small child.  Instinct, training took over.  In one quick bound Ranma
was three quarters of the way to his target.  His hand shot forward
pushing the child out of the way.
	The child's scream caught a certain onlooker's attention.  His eyes
narrowed and focused on Ranma pushing the child.  <Picking on a
child.  Ranma, prepa...> his thoughts were stopped short by the
sickening thud.  "Ranma!" Ryoga screamed <Got to get the car off
him.> "Bakusai Tenketsu!"  The car's body shattered as he knelt next
to Ranma.  <I got to cheer him up.  What can I say?>  A toothy grin
appeared as he joked, "Ranma, prepare to die."  The response shocked
him.  <'I am?'  Come on, you don't mean that Ranma.>

-----

	 Later that night, Soun and Genma returned from the tournament and
were briefed by Nabiki on what had happened.  The Tendo household was
getting worried there had been no sign of Ranma since he left.
	"I will get the door."  Kasumi replied in response to the knock.
"May I help you?"
	"I am Officer Ukime, is Genma Saotome here."
	"Yes... I will get him."
	Genma paled as he entered the kitchen "You need to see me?"
	"Mr. Saotome, I'm Officer Ukime, I am sorry to inform you that your
son, Ranma, was involved in a bad accident."
	"Is... is he ok?" Genma interrupted.
	"I am sorry; all I know is that he has been surgery for close to
three hours.  We have been trying to locate you; we missed you at the
tournament.  I was asked to take you to Kitamachi Hospital."
	"I will wait for Akane," Nabiki replied as she helped her family
out the door.
	Time dragged on for an eternity for Nabiki; she was thankful when
the phone rang.  "Hello, Tendo residence."
	"Is Akane home yet?"
	"No, not yet Kasumi.  How is Ranma?"  Nabiki became unnerved by the
long pause.  "Kasumi?"
	"He just got out of surgery twenty minutes ago.  The... The doctor
does not expect him to live more than a few days.  Please, get Akane
down here as soon as you can."
	"I'll call a cab now.  I'll have it wait until she gets here.
Don't worry, I can afford it."
	"Just hurry."
	"I will."
	Nabiki sat down at the table after calling a cab.  <Why couldn't I
see that they were in love?  If I just let my heart see what my eye
saw, this might not have happened.  What about Akane...> Her thoughts
were broken when, as if on cue, Akane entered the kitchen door.
	"Nabiki, I can't find him anywhere.  No one knows, not even Shampoo
or Ukyo.  I'm worried."
	Nabiki got up from the table and hugged her sister.
	Akane looked into Nabiki's tear stained eyes "No..."  she choked as
she hugged her sister tighter.
	"Akane they fou-found Ranma.  He was in a car accident.  The doc-
doctors do not think he will make it."  Tears streamed down her face.
"I have a cab waiting.  Let's go."
	"Why... why would he want to see me?"  Akane cried into her
sister's arms.
	"'Cause he loves you."
	"Nabiki, I hurt him.  I hurt him so bad.  You're wrong.  You can't
make me go!"
	<She needs to see him, but I'm not strong enough to physically
force her  How can I make her go?>  Nabiki thought as the answer
popped in her head. <I hate to do this, but...> "Akane, are you sure
you want your last words to Ranma to be 'go and die?'
	The words had the desired affect.  Nabiki gingerly helped Akane out
of the cab.  The two made their way to the lobby and were greeted by
the rest of the family.  Hugs and tears were exchanged as they sat
down at a table.
	"Nabiki, can we talk privately?"
	"Hey, I heard what happened.  How are you holding up?"
	"Good.  Ranma wants you to do him a favor.  He wants you to get his
journal; he said you'd know where it is.  He wants Akane to know
everything about him."

-----

	"Ranma... I am sorry.  I did not know.  Akane sighed and closed the
curtain.  "How can you love me, after what I did?"
	"Akane, you did not know the whole story.  You got upset.  I
learned to live with it."  Ranma squeezed Akane's hand and looked
straight into her eyes.  "I really do love you; I wanted to marry you."
	"Why did you hafta to be a," tears streamed down her face "A baka
and..."
	Ranma was shocked by the amount of warmth in the former insult.
"Akane.  I love you.  I still wish we could get married, but..."
Ranma paused, he was unable to find the right words.
	"What?  After all this... you still want to marry me?"
	"I would, but... I never had anything to offer you.  I can't even
be a true man for you.  The only thing I can offer you now is the
fact that I have less time to ruin your life."  Ranma paused as he
wiped a tear from his eye.  "You have every reason to hate me."
	"Don't say that, don't you *ever* say that again.  I *love* you.  I
do *not* hate you.  Why couldn't we say these words before?"
	"Pride. We couldn't admit-"
	"Quiet," Akane whispered as she placed a finger across Ranma's
lips.  "You're right.  It was pride, but you were wrong before.
Having less time to spend with you, my love, makes me miserable.  I
want to spend a *long, loving* life with you."
	"Akane, I can offer loving..." Ranma took a painful, deep breath as
he clasped her hands.  "But the doctor said not long.  I'm fighting
to prove him wrong though.  You've called me a selfish jerk before."
"Ranma, I'm sor-"
"Please, let me finish.  Allow me to be selfish again.  Akane...
will you marry me?"
	Tears stung her eyes as she rested her head on his chest.  "Yes...
Yes I will." I know you will prove the doctor wrong."
	Nabiki lowered her camera and smiled.  "Here Ranma, its your
marriage license from yesterday.  There is a shrine next door.  I'll
get a priest."
	"Thanks 'Biki."

-----

	"I wish I could give you a better honeymoon," Ranma replied as he
looked into his wife's eyes.  "But I want you to read this.  It is my
journal; I had Nabiki get it for me.  I want you to know how I felt
about you.  I want you to know... me."
	Akane grabbed the journal and walked back to her chair.  She opened
the book-bag and grabbed her diary out.  "I want you to learn about
me too, we have no time for secrets."  She leaned and kissed Ranma on
the head.  Akane opened Ranma's journal to see that the inside cover
had the wedding picture taped inside.  <Some wedding photo my husband
is all wired up.>  A tear dropped to the photo.
	Hours later both finished reading the journals.  Ranma reached to
hand Akane her journal back but she stopped him.  "Keep it with you,
just give it back when you prove the doctor wrong."  Akane slipped
the both journals under his arm and held his hand.  "I'm sorry Ranma,
I want more time with you.  I love you so much, please keep fighting."
	They talked for hours exchanging memories and tears.  Finally they
both fell asleep from exhaustion.

-----

	Ranma awoke to the sensation he associated with his change.  This
was different, it was more intense, and he was still dry.  His whole
body tingled like it was asleep.  Soon the tingling subsided.  A
pulling and stretching sensation over took him; fear engulfed Ranma.
He tried to command his eyes open, but he failed.  The pull became
more intense as his body ignored all of his commands.  Ranma felt a
pop and the pull was gone.
	"I'm too tired, let me sleep longer."  Akane sleepily replied as
the alarm sounded.  It took a few seconds for the grim realization to
set in.
	Ranma was shocked.  He was looking down over his body.  He turned
and focused on his wife.
"Ra-Ranma, it's too soon, I loved you.  I loved you along time ago
you baka I loved you!" Akane cried.
"I know.  I lost this fight, forgive me."
	All was dark as he heard a rumbling voice "Ranma, we have taken
pity on you.  You will be granted another chance."  Ranma looked down
and he was shocked to see events of his life play out before him.  He
saw himself get cursed, his first meeting with Akane.  He now
recognized the event before his eyes; Ryoga was getting ready to
throw his belt and cut Akane's hair.  "Get her down" he screamed and
to his amazement he saw his past tackle Akane - the belt missed her.
Ranma had to hide his eyes; he sensed a bright light as he descended.
His vision cleared in time to see P-chan sitting on Akane's bed.  <It
can't be,> Ranma thought as he turned into Akane's uppercut, sending
him out the window.
	Onna-Ranma picked herself out of the canal and walked back to the
Tendo residence.  She was surprised to find something pressing
against her breast.  Looking down she saw both journals under the
shirt.  Smiling inwardly she gazed up at the sky.  "Why have me start
here?  Why wouldn't you let me stay in control when I tackled Akane?"
	"Ranma, your hardships defined you.  Without them you will cease to
be the person she fell in love with.  Sending you back here insures
hardships - some are old, some new.  Choose your actions carefully,
and with luck and guidance you may be rejoined with Akane.
"Thank you, I understand," Onna-Ranma whispered.  <With both sides
of the story I will make this work.  Now I wonder how far back I am.>
	Onna-Ranma arrived back at the house and took a dip in the furo
before heading to the guestroom.  Ranma hid the future journals and
pulled out the present journal.  <Today is the day Akane first meets
her pet P-chan.  Looking at these entries, this Akane looks a lot
colder.  The only difference I see is that she has long hair now.
Maybe if I reread Akane's diary it will tell me.>  Ranma removed
Akane's diary and read some more  <I would have never though such a
small incident could impact so many things.  A simple haircut, but
looking at the diary it allowed her to get over Dr. Tofu.  She was
happy to hear me say that I liked her short hair.>  Ranma sighed as
he looked out at the starry night "I guess I have a lot of work ahead
of me.  Akane, I love you and I will remarry you, we got our wish.
We have another chance."

Bryan Croft

"Dazzlingly marvellous! Perfect! Flawless! Staggering!"
Bilbo talking to Smaug-  NOT about my fanfics.

-- Binary/unsupported file stripped by Listar --
-- Type: application/ms-tnef
-- File: winmail.dat

-- 
                 .---Anime/Manga Fanfiction Mailing List---.
                 | Administrators - [email-masked] |
                 | Unsubscribing - [email-masked] |
                 |     Put 'unsubscribe' in the subject    |
                 `---http://www.fanfic.com/FFML-FAQ.txt ---'